Helpful FIT/NOAA resources
Example R packages
- MyNewPackage The package I made during class. You can also open on RStudio Cloud and build it from there.
- VRData This is the data package that I spent the most time on in lecture.
- SardineForecast Data package for a recent paper of mine.
- This one had a lot of preprocessing which is in the
inst/extdata folder. The data documentation is in
R/data.R. I don’t recommend putting all the data background into one R file. It drove me nuts.
- For my paper, I had an appendix with the data information. To write that, I wrote a script to process the Rd files in the
man folder into a Rmd document. So although writing the data documentation was time-consuming, it saved me a lot of time when writing the paper.
- The paper also included the data used in the analyses in a table in an appendix. I wrote a script to make that table using this data library.
- For the paper tables and figures, I used
library(SardineForecast). That ensured that all figures and tables used the same and most recent data. There were a number of big data changes that happened in revision, and not having a data package would have made updating the paper much harder.
NWFSC Math Bio Program